You are here
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost
Riccardo Di Pietro was born in a small village in the Messina countryside called San Filippo Inferiore on August 15th, 1986.
He received his High School Diploma in Computer Science from the Technical Institute "ITIS Verona-Trento" of Messina in 2005, his Higher Technical Education and Training Diploma in ICT Technologies (Italian "corso IFTS") and his Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with Specialization in Networks and Distributed Systems at the University of Messina (UniMe), Italy, in 2006 and 2009, respectively.
He received his Master of Science in Computer Science, his 2nd level Professional Master's Programme in Open Source and Information Security and his Master of Engineering in Computer Engineering from the University of Messina (UniMe), Italy, in 2013, 2014 and 2016, respectively.
From November 2016 till today, after two attempts, he is a Ph.D. student in Mathematics and Computer Science at the University of Catania (UniCt), Italy, under the supervision of prof. Salvatore Distefano.
From Decembre 2016 till now he is a UniMe staff member of the IOT-OPEN.EU Erasmus+ project. The European Community funds IOT-OPEN.EU project under Erasmus+ programme KA2 (Strategic Partnership for Higher Education). The consortium is composed of experienced researchers and educators from five European countries. The consortium is lead by Silesian University of Technology and is composed of: SUT (Poland, Gliwice) - Silesian University of Technology; TMO (Russia, Sankt Petersburg) - National Research University of Information Technologies Mechanics and Optics; ITT (Estonia, Tallinn) - ITT Group; RTU (Latvia, Riga) - Riga Technical University; University of Messina; TUT (Estonia, Tallinn) - Tallinn University of Technology. (more info at http://iot-open.eu/)
From 2017 till today UniMe awarded him as an Honorary Fellow in the Italian Scientific-Disciplinary Sector ING-INF/05 (Italian "Cultore della Materia"). From March 2017, under the supervision of prof. Salvatore Distefano, he carries out some Honorary Fellow activities at the MIFT Department ("Programmazione II" course), and at the Department of Engineering ("Sistemi di Elaborazione" course) of the University of Messina.
From June 2017 until now he is an IEEE Student Member (94384791) and from July of the same year, he is also an IEEE Computer Society Student Member.
From November 2017 until now, he is an ACM Student Member (3368174).
In July 2017 he passed the government exam and licensed as a Profession Engineer for the Information Technology field. In May 2018 he joined the Order of Italian Engineering - Branch of Messina (Italy), in Section "A" (Information Technology field).
- From December 2018 till today, he is the social media manager and ICT training manager for the "Cesf - Study and Training Center of the Order of Engineers of Messina". Cesf is a non-profit organization which aims to enhance and guide the Continuous Professional Development of Professional Engineers. Cesf promotes both the constant technical-scientific and cultural updating and the implementing any initiative aimed at the professional training of Engineers, aspiring Engineers and other technical and specialist professions that act in the field of technical, economic, legal and tax studies. (more info at http://cesfordingme.it)
In January 2018 he joined the University of Messina with a position of officer, with a contract of indefinite duration, in the area of Technical Scientific and Data Processing.
- From January 2018 to February 2019 he served at the Center for Information Technologies at the University of Messina (CIAM - Centro Informatico Ateneo di Messina), where he was engaged in the design and development of Information Systems, and in Research, Innovation and Training activities.
- From February 2019 till today, he serves at the Department of "Ancient and Modern Civilizations" (DICAM - Dipartimento di Civiltà Antiche e Moderne) at the University of Messina. Currently, he is the technical manager of the "Rosetta Stone" experimentation that was activated at the DICAM department after his transfer, for the first time. Rosetta Stone is a commercial multilanguage e-learning platform. The initial experimentation involved only 500 selected students from the 27 Language courses provided in the university. The experimentation consisted of the use of the web/mobile platform for language learning and in the language level examination reached by learners. Moreover, he is currently engaged in technical management activities for 27 Language Courses and training and management events destined to the technical support to IT staff of the Linguistics Laboratory of the department (42 workstations).
From December 2013 to November 2016, he has been a senior developer at UniMe as a member of the Mobile and Distributed Systems Lab (MDSLab).
During this time he worked in several R & D projects in the ICT area, such as "Next-FFM", a R & D industrial project focused on power grids maintenance, and "SIGMA", a R & D national project focused on Cloud computing and sensor networks.
He acquired important experience in the use of Java, XML, JSON, Apache,Tomcat, Mysql, Google Maps, ForgeRock and OpenStack, Cloud technologies focused on the Identity and Object Storage Services.
He acquired significant competencies in design and development of distributed systems for Cloud computing and Mobile applications based on client-server and REST API paradigms.
He was actively involved in some teaching and seminar activities for students focused on the Arduino technologies, aimed to university courses, high school courses, summer courses, and workshops with fee in collaboration with Fablab Messina.
Teamwork, Team Motivation, Team Leadership, Team Management, Problem Solving, Management, Social Networking, and Communication.
Schools, Workshops, Courses and Training Activities
- Percorso formativo obbligatorio: "Trattamento e Protezione dei Dati Personali". Erogato in modalità e-learning dall'Università degli studi di Messina. 02/10/2019
- Lipari School on Computational Complex and Social Systems - "Data Science". Hotel Giardino Sul Mare, Via Maddalena, 65, 98055 Lipari ME - Lipari Island (Italy). July 19-25, 2019.
- Corso di formazione in house "La sicurezza nei luoghi di lavoro ai sensi dell'art. 37 del D.Lvo 81/08". Organizzato dall'Università degli studi di Messina, Aulario dell'Università degli Studi di Messina, via P. Castelli n. 46, Messina (ME), Italy. May 8th-09th 2019, 12 hours.
- Docker Workshop Avanzato. Organizzato da Acadevmy, docente Dott. Giuseppe Virzì. Parco Commerciale "Le Zagare" via Bottazzi n° 1 - San Giovanni La Punta (CT). Sabato 4 Maggio 2019, 09:00-18:00 CET.
- Docker Workshop Base - From zero to hero. Organizzato da Acadevmy, docente Dott. Giuseppe Virzì. Parco Commerciale "Le Zagare" via Bottazzi n° 1 - San Giovanni La Punta (CT). Sabato 13 Aprile 2019, 09:00-18:00 CET.
- Scuola di Liberalismo di Messina 2019 Fondazione Luigi Einaudi. In collaborazione con Università degli studi di Messina e Fondazione Bonino-Pulejo Messina. La scuola ha avuto i seguenti patrocini: Ordine degli Architetti della Provincia di Messina, Ordine degli Avvocati di Messina, Ordine degli Ingegneri della Provincia di Messina, Consiglio Notarile di Messina, Ordine provinciale dei Medici Chirunghi e degli Odontoiatri di Messina, Liberal International, The Adam Smith Society. 01 Aprile - 31 Maggio 2019.
- Corso di formazione in house "Titulus: Protocollazione e fascicolazione". Organizzato dall'Università degli studi di Messina, docente ing. Angelo Raffa. Polo Universitario Papardo. April 1st, 03th,05th 2019, 18 hours.
- LA VIOLENZA DI GENERE conoscerla, prevenirla, riconoscerla, contrastarla - "ciclo di seminari contro la violenza di genere, Edizione 2019". Piazza XX Settembre n.4 - Aula Magna "L. Campagna". 8 Marzo - 25 Novembre 2019.
- Fare didattica con il coding - 1 edizione. Il corso sperimentale interamente online erogato sulla piattaforma Moodle di AICA www.faredidattica.it caratterizzato da un'intensa e costante attività di tutoraggio. Solo 350 partecipanti in tutta Italia per questa sperimentazione. 14 gennaio 2019 - 10 marzo 2019.
- Scuola Di Governo Locale 2019 - III Edizione - organizzata dalla Presidenza del Consiglio Comunale di Capo d'Orlando e dall'Università degli Studi di Messina, con il patrocinio della Regione Siciliana - Assessorato Regionale delle Autonomie Locali e della Funzione Pubblica, del Formez PA e dell'Ordine degli Avvocati di Patti. Via del Fanciullo, 2 - 98071 Capo d'Orlando ME, Sicily (Italy). March 1-2, 8-9 e 15-16, 2019.
- Corso di formazione in house "Performance, Trasparenza, Anticorruzione: Strumenti percorsi e prospettive per una gestione integrata ed efficace". Corso erogato in modalità e-learning dall’Università degli Studi di Messina. Data conseguimento 17/12/2018.
- Machine Learning Day. Organizzato da Machine Learning Catania presso l'Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare INFN - LNS - Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare - Laboratori Nazionali del Sud - Italia - Sicilia - Catania - Via Santa Sofia,62 , CT - 95123. 15 Dicembre 2018.
- Machine Learning Workshop - da zero a 3 modelli in un giorno. Organizzato da Acadevmy, docente Dott. Luca Naso. Parco Commerciale "Le Zagare" via Bottazzi n° 1 - San Giovanni La Punta (CT). Sabato 1 Dicembre 2018, 09:00-18:00 CET.
- Lipari School on Computational Complex and Social Systems - "From swarm intelligence to digital democracy: new tools for a complex society". Hotel Giardino Sul Mare, Via Maddalena, 65, 98055 Lipari ME - Lipari Island (Italy). July 19-25, 2018.
- MATLAB training course. Consorzio COMETA University of Catania - Department of Engineering Viale Andrea Doria 6, 95125 Catania(CT), Italy. 24 ore. September 25th - 27th, 2017.
- IEEE S3C-EU 2017 - IEEE European Summer School on Smart Cities - “Improving the citizens quality of life”. Polo Scientifico e Tecnologico "Fabio Ferrari" (Povo 1 building), via Sommarive 5, Trento (Italy). Sep 04th, 2017 - Sep 08th, 2017.
- I training school - MULTIFORESEE Cost Action CA 16101 - “CSI requirements for evidence handling within the application of imaging solutions”. West Yorkshire Police Training And Development Centre Carr Gate Complex Bradford Road, Wakefield, (United Kingdom). Aug 21th, 2017 - Aug 25th, 2017.
- ICVSS 2017 - International Computer Vision Summer School 2017 - “From Representation to Action and Interaction”. Hotel Village Baia Samuele, Punta Sampieri, 97018 Scicli RG, Ragusa, Sicily, (Italy). Jul 09th, 2017 - Jul 15th, 2017.
- "Multimedia security" Ph.D. Course. ICT International Doctoral School. University of Trento, (Italy) 20 hours, 3 ECTS. May 29th, 2017- Jun 01st, 2017.
- STMicroelectronics’ Open Days 1st Edition. STMicroelectronics Catania Str. Primosole, 50, 95121 Catania (CT), (Italy). Sep 28th-30th, 2016.
- Workshop di saldatura per circuiti elettronici: Build your own Arduino. Fablab Messina 24th-26th November 2015, Messina, Italy (12 hours).
- III International Geant4 and GPU Programming School. Laboratori Nazionali del Sud, Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare, INFN - LNS Catania, Via Santa Sofia, n° 62 - 95123 Catania (CT), (Italy). 35 hours, 6 ECTS. Nov 9th-13th, 2015.
- Management systems auditors: audit methodology in accordance with UNI EN ISO 19011:2012 - ISO/IEC 17021:2011. Department of DICIEAMA - University of Messina, Contrada Di Dio (S. Agata) - 98166 Messina, (Italy). 16 hours. Nov 2015.
- Messina Applied Mathematics School – MESMA 2010. Department of Mathematics and Computer Science - University of Messina, Via F.Stagno D’Alcontres n. 31, 98166 Messina, (Italy). 40 hours. Jan 2010.
- Cisco CCNA4 "WAN Technologies". Department of Mathematics and Computer Science - University of Messina, Via F.Stagno D’Alcontres n. 31, 98166 Messina, (Italy). June, 3th, 2008.
- Cisco CCNA3 "Switching Basics and Intermediate Routing". Department of Mathematics and Computer Science - University of Messina, Via F.Stagno D’Alcontres n. 31, 98166 Messina, (Italy). January, 31th, 2008.
- Cisco CCNA2 "Router and Routing Basic". Department of Mathematics and Computer Science - University of Messina, Via F.Stagno D’Alcontres n. 31, 98166 Messina, (Italy). June, 14th, 2007.
- Cisco CCNA1 "Networking Basics". Department of Mathematics and Computer Science - University of Messina, Via F.Stagno D’Alcontres n. 31, 98166 Messina, (Italy). June, 3th, 2007.
- From December 2013 to March 2014, software Project: "Google Maps "Box";
- From December 2013 to present Software Project: "JaKey" - Java OpenStack Keystone Client;
- From October 2013 to October 2013, Software Project: "JaDa - Swift" - Java Dashboard for OpenStack Swift;
- From November 2014 to February 2015, software Project: "JOpAM - Java OpenAM Client";
- From December 2013 to May 2015, software project: "CLEVER - CLoud-Enabled Virtual EnviRonment";
His activities includes the development of plugins that integrate functionalities of the OpenStack APIs and by OpenAM ForgeRock APIs. Specifically, he developed some plugins that integrate the functionalies of Openstack Identity Service API v2 (Keystone) and Openstack Object Storage API v1 (Swift) that are releted to the Cloud IaaS level. For Cloud SaaS level, he produced plugins that integrate the functionalies of simple Authentication,Identity Management and simple Authorization of OpenAM ForgeRock API. (https://github.com/clever-unime/clever-unime/wiki)
- From March 2014 to July 2015, software project: "Z2C Zip to Cloud";
- From July 2016 until now, software project: "J2CBROKER - Java Json Cloud BROKER";
- From November 2016 until now, software project "SSME - Secure Storage as a Service in Multi-Cloud Environment"
- From March 2017 until now, software project "ARIANNA - "A Mobile Secure Storage Approach in Multi-Cloud Environment"
- From October 2017 until now, software project "Virtual Study Partner - "
- On 29 July 2015 "Open Source per il Lavoro e il Territorio: Arduino e Formazione" (https://www.facebook.com/events/597935640344518/);
- On 05 February 2016 "Startup Europe Week Messina: #SmartME - reti di connessioni fisiche a supporto del territorio" (https://www.facebook.com/events/180677162293816/);
- On 30 May 2016 "Building the Internet of Things(IoT) using the Arduino Technology - the #SmartME project experience" (https://www.facebook.com/events/480439358812743/);
Educational and Training Activities
He was Manager and Lecturer of courses which were organized for the availability of the CESF (Centro Studi e Formazione dell'Ordine degli Ingegneri di Messina) at the headquarter of Italian Engineers Order - Branch of Messina. These activities recognized some professional credits to professionals:
- Corso di Alta Formazione: “Sviluppare in PHP con CodeIgniter: From Zero To Hero” – 46 credits – June 2019 (46 hours);
- Corso di Alta Formazione: “Protezione Dati Personali: GDPR, Privacy e Sicurezza” – 15 credits – May 2019 (15 hours);
He was University Manager and Lecturer of courses that were organized by the CIAM (Center for Information Technologies at the University of Messina) at the Department of Engineering of the University of Messina:
- "Corso di Formazione ECDL FULL STANDARD" May-July 2018 (24 hours);
He was University Manager and Mentor of summer courses destinated to international undergraduate students that were organized at the Department of Engineering of the University of Messina. These courses were held in collaboration with the international association B.E.S.T. Messina:
- “Arduino Technology as the enabler of Cyber Physical Systems" July-August 2016 (24 hours) (30 students from 18 different nationalities);
- “Arduino Technology as the enabler of Cyber Physical Systems - II edition" July-August 2017 (24 hours) (30 students from 22 different nationalities);
He was University Tutor of courses destinated to high school students that were organized at the Department of Engineering of the University of Messina. These courses took place within different projects called "Alternanza Scuola-Lavoro":
- “Pratica Professionale Gestione Piattaforma Open Source Arduino" January-February 2017 (70 hours);
- “La piattaforma open source Arduino: corso base" February - April 2017 (24 hours);
He was Manager and Mentor of courses destinated to undergraduate students (24 hours each) that were organized at the department of Engineering of the University of Messina. To these activities, the master's degree course in "Engineering and Computer Science - ECS" of the University of Messina has recognized a weight of 3 ECTS.
Follow the courses:
- “The Arduino open source platform for beginner" June-July 2015;
- “The Arduino open source platform for beginner - II edition" April-May 2016;
He was Manager and Mentor of the workshop for entry level "Le basi di Arduino" held at the Fablab Messina 16th-19th December 2015 , Messina, Italy (16 hours).
Roles in International Conferences
- "The 5th International Workshop on Sensors and Smart Cities - SSC 2019" 12th June, 2019, Washington, DC, United States. Held in conjunction with 5th IEEE International Conference on Smart Computing (SMARTCOMP 2019) - Staff Member, TPC Member.
- "The 4th International Workshop on Sensors and Smart Cities - SSC 2018" 18th June, 2018, Giardini Naxos, (Messina), Italy. Held in conjunction with 4th IEEE International Conference on Smart Computing (SMARTCOMP 2018) - Publicity Chair, Staff Member.
- "International Conference on Image Analysis and Processing - ICIAP 2017" 11th - 15th September, 2017. Monastery of San Nicolò l’Arena, Catania, Italy - Staff Member.
- "The 3rd International Workshop on Sensors and Smart Cities - SSC 2017" May 29, 2017, Honk Kong, China. Held in conjunction with 3rd IEEE International Conference on Smart Computing (SMARTCOMP 2017) - Publicity Chair.
- "The 15th International Conference on AdHocNetworks and Wireless-AdHoc-Now 2017". 20-22 September 2017, Messina, (Italy) - Publicity Chair, Staff Member.
- "10th EAI International Conference on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools - valuetools2016". October 25–28, 2016. Taormina, Italy - Staff Member.
For further information, please don't hesitate to contact me by e-mail at email@example.com
Please, stay in touch on Linkedin !!!